Ladd Wendelin. Bingo!

Friday, March 10, 2006

RANDOM BITS_

I have to take a moment to speak of probably one of my favorite shows on PBS, that being Rick Steves' Europe. Rick Steves is a noted tour guide/travel conneseiur and he's particularly notable for his slanted take on experiencing Europe "through the backdoor"...'A sodomist!' you might declare, but alas, he is not a sodomist. "Through the backdoor" refers to his approach to seeing the great locales and sights of Europe, not through what EVERYONE sees (i.e. Big Ben, the Eiffel Tower), but through directly interacting with locals, sampling various foodstuffs, and participating in the culture of Europe. Watching his shows on PBS isn't just a charming incentive to go to Europe, but an education in geography! While he's only made 59 episodes, each detailing a different region in Europe, from the Pyrnees to Prague, from Dublin to Burgundy, Steves makes each episode a treat to behold. He seems to capture the untold, or hidden side, of each place he visits. He rumminates about the historical or cultural significance of a certain place (exp. Prague is the home of Europe's oldest Jewish community, or Dublin converted to the Euro in 2002, rejuvinating its capitalist economy). I'd encourage anyone with a remote fondness or interest in Europe to check out his series on PBS (NET1 or NET3 on cable). It's great fun to watch!

Halloween is a special time for me, because its gives me an excuse to create my own costume away from the environs of the theatre. I like to make my costumes noticable and worth the look, like Dali last year. In a way, they're like art projects for me. I like spending time on them and see what comes of it. For this year, I've come up with a few ideas:
1. Shakespeare
Probably the most "doable" idea, and the one that people will probably recognize out in public. Still, I can't help but feel that it won't be too much of a challenge. Still, me...in tights...Sweet mama baby daddy. :-)
2. V from 'V for Vendetta'
Probably the most costly idea. I'd need to a get a mask, hat, wig, cape, black apparel. i'd do away with the daggers, because I don't want to look like some freak comic book geek whose replica costuming has to be to the book. Besides, what the hell would I do with several daggers on my belt? Hurt people? I like the side of V that is a protectorate of culture, the arts, ideas (i.e. The Shadow Gallery).
3. Little Edie from the documentary film 'Grey Gardens'
Sure, I'd have to dress as a semi-fashionable middle aged woman. But it'd be fun! I have the Massachussets socialite accent down. But people probably wouldn't know who I am. Charming idea, but it will have to stay charming, and only an idea...

I'm not sure what I'm doing tonight besides watching 'Most Haunted...
Speaking of 'MH', I'm convinced that this whole ghost thing is a load of rubbish. However, on last week's episode, they recorded live footsteps tromping across the floorboards of an attic in an old guild hall in Leiscester. Still, Derek is hard to take seriously. Sure, he arrives with no prior knowledge of these locations, but when he says things like, "I detect the prescence of an old woman...she's giving me the date of 'one'..'six'....'seven'....'two'....and she is a good soul...I feel as though she is looking you over, inspecting you, as it were. She was a .... nurse ....perhaps a midwife of sorts...", "Can you give us a name?" ... "Can you give us a name, Sam (Sam is Derek's spirit world contact)?"...."I'm getting a E- Liza- Elizabeth...ELIZABETH!"
Now, examing such a phrase as that, there are only a few ways to go about proving that Derek was even correct. One way is through historical record. If there is indeed record of a nurse or midwife recorded in the property's history sometime on or around 1672 named Elizabeth, it would validate Derek's supernaturally inspired claims, and give credit to Derek's so-called "abilities" as a spirit medium. However, Derek could be a very good actor, a man simply feeding off the vibes of a particular "haunted" environment and performing for the Most Haunted crew at the at-home viewers. With no way to validate the claims, historically or from some primary or secondary source or otherwise, Derek is no better than a two-bit entertainer, a charleton, a man skilled at illiciting emotions and the appropriate responses from people with very vulnerable minds, susceptible to suggestion. Imagination is a powerful thing, especially when it comes to play in an alledgedly haunted house with a bloody or tumultuous history.
I only watch 'Most Haunted' for the history. British history fascinates me, maybe more so than say China or Russia's history. It's a long and lavish history filled with brooding and vengeful royals, civil conflict and glorious reigns, insipid characters and also those of grace and dignity who believed in the common good and rights for all. Each place they visit in 'Most Haunted' is somehow connected with these very people and events. It's absolutely fascinating, and for that, 'MH' is a valuable show to watch. However, if you have an active imagination, and love a good scare, they've got that territory convered too. Derek performs such fetes of unblievable gal effortlessly. Another show worth checking out if only for its entertainment value. Still....sometimes, stuff on the show that they capture is hard to explain. While they've never been able to capture a fully manifest ghost, bumps in the night, floating tables during seances are hard to explain. Well, shit happens...

Mahalo!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, but the show sounds stupid. I don't believe in any of that shit, nor am I much of a history buff.

12:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home